Thursday, July 18, 2019

Easter Egg

I've been rummaging around, looking for Robin's journals.  She started many, but rarely finished them. and they are all secreted around the house.  So far, thanks to the disorganized nature of my search, I've only dented three areas:  her bedside, her computer desk, and her bookshelf.

A lot of found...stuff...ends up in her chair or on her side of the bed.  If her ghost is hanging around, she must be a little miffed over not having a place to rest here.

Last night, I hit the bookshelf again.  I noticed that one of the thicker volumes, The McGraw-Hill Introduction to Literature, had a scrap of pink paper in it.  Of course I had to take a look.

Between pages 342 and 343, I found her message.  She'd marked Anne Bradstreet's poem, "To My Dear And Loving Husband."

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by his wife, then thee;
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me ye women if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold.
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay,
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love lets so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

I held this book for several minutes, getting my robe dusty.  No idea when she marked this for me to find.  No idea how many other such "easter eggs" may be hidden around here.

I shall have to be mindful how I clean up.

I think this healed me quite a bit.  I actually had a couple of dreams overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment