Saturday, May 11, 2024

Review: The Housemaid

The Housemaid The Housemaid by Freida McFadden
My rating: 3 of 5 stars  (for the book club, 7 of 10)

This was chosen by the Benson Library's mystery book club.

My overall impression is that the first part of the book feels like a Hallmark movie, and the second feels like Lifetime. Or, if you prefer, a plotline from a Harlequin romance is expanded to include a sudden dark twist.

But the darkest twist of all is saved for the end. I put this down and said, "Daaaaamn."

I used the audiobook format, and have to say that the narrator (Lauryn Allman) did the story justice. She handled the characters very well, even when the narrative voice changed, and kept me engaged in the story.

TW: There is some serious gaslighting and torture in this story.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment