Saturday, October 10, 2020

Data Heist

 Game date: 8/6/2020

Everything went right.  So why am I still uneasy?

I stopped off at the lair just long enough to grab a quick bite (had to tell the AutoChef to deliver it silently, the voice bugs me now) and plan my attack on TK security.  Then I threw that plan in the recycler and started over from scratch.  When I finally had something that I thought would work, I then set up some backup contingencies in case I got burned, and how badly.  

Everything I own is tied up in this flat, and now in this job.  My so-called family doesn't need any of it, and wouldn't care for it if they had it.  And the closest thing I have to a friend, I realize with some dismay, is my temporary foxkin roommate.  So be it.  

"Parker, prepare to accept contingency programming.

1. If the Ezekiel Kai identity is burned, but I physically escape:

Transfer ownership of all assets to the new identity set up for Aru.  I will remain nameless and stay with him at the lair until a new identity can be set up.  Parker will still obey me.

2. If the identity is burned and I am apprehended:

Transfer ownership of assets as above.  Parker is to obey Aru, with instructions to set up a new identity for me as are able.  Ownership and loyalty reverts back to me in the event that I escape/am rescued/released by family.

3. If I am killed:

Transfer ownership of assets and loyalty as above, permanently. 

In all of the above contingencies, Parker is to take information about my failed hack and share it with any other hackers in the Jane Doe group.  At least the next person to try such a foolish thing will make all-new mistakes."

That should do it.  At least this way, I don't have to bring anyone else into my lair or confidence.

By the time this was done, the crawler had arrived.  Excellent.  I hooked it to the bike, fetched the TK transmitter, and set out for a cafe with outdoor seating.  There I proceeded to spend some of my precious remaining credit on a sweet, hot, caffeinated drink -- "No, I do not want any peach flavor, thank you."


   Before I could start work, though, I got a ping.  Carefully, I accepted the call.  It was from a pixelated game avatar who called himself Ryatt.  I did not recognize the name.  He reminded me that we had met, once, at the Tenner Hut, the night it imploded.  I told him that this did not help, because several people attended that particular fireworks display.  Ryatt made an exasperated noise and revealed that he was one of the two young people present, although not the youngest.  Before I could acknowledge that information, he explained that he had heard from a mutual acquaintance that I was planning a major hack, and do I want some help or not?

Well, well, well.  Apparently I have no secrets, even if the AutoChef is silent.  I explained that I am not in a position to pay anything except promised favors, and that this hack is dangerous.  We could be burned or even arrested.  But if he was prepared to accept those consequences...

He was.  I have to assume that the boy is qualified, or Ms. Peach Chef wouldn't have sent him my way, so I didn't insult him by asking that particular question.  I simply explained my goal and primary approach.  Apparently it passed muster, for he agreed to it.

So we poked around a bit.  Like every entity, they have their public face, so we started there.  Nothing special about the interface - the code was easy to read, and eventually we found a thread into the servers.  We watched data packets going in and out for a while, scanned a few until we had diagrammed their structure, then grabbed one and rode it straight into the servers.  

Ahhh.  What a rush.

Most of what I needed was in recent memory, and already filed under one category.  And there were quite a few links and other goodies I didn't expect.  It was tempting to browse, but I'd be here all night.  I told Ryatt, "If you have something to look for, now's the time," and started downloading all I could.  Once I had my copy, I started a bit-wise erase of the data on the server side.  I did not want TK restoring any of this.  

We finished our work at about the same time.  At least, I didn't have to wait for him, and if he had to wait for me he didn't complain about it.  I have to assume he got what he wanted.  His avatar had a smug pixellated expression.  We nabbed an outward-bound data packet and started out, just some extra data on a real fat packet, pay us no mind.

Except something was patrolling the ports.  TK had a security sweep going.  If this were anything but a rush job, this should have been cased out.  Make a note of that, Zeke.  If we manage to clear out safely, this experience will be valuable learning.  In the meantime, though, we have to get past that spidery sec-bot.

Ryatt said, "I'll open a fake account somewhere else and close it immediately.  That should set off alarms and draw it away."

I nodded.  "Make it look like a DDOS.  I'll assist."

And that's what he did, but I think he misplaced a decimal point.  He hit a port way too far from our destination to do us any good, and alerted an entirely different security protocol.  Now we had another server alarm tripped, and our sweep still going over here.  

I didn't say a word.  I remember all to well the harsh criticisms that ended up driving me away.  I just took over the code from him and started ramming the port, and a few nearby ports, like a phase rifle set on auto-pulse.  That made the DDOS real enough to shut down the automatic sweep, and gave us a window to exit.  Which we did post-haste.  

My only worry is, did I call attention to the fact that they were hacked?  Probably so.  Which means, at the very least, that it will be twice as hard if I have to do it again.

I took a deep breath.  One down, one to go.  Hopefully the next will be easier...

Another ping.  It's Aru.  "Zeke- Mr Shooty's place is burned, do we have a safe house?"

Oh, my Bob.  Was this past hour for nothing?

"Well," I said, "the unit next to your old one is paid up for the rest of the month, but that's a little risky for you.  There's a good chance that TK may not be tracking Mauger anymore, but I don't want to test that by bringing him home with me."  I thought a couple of seconds.  "Give me some time to wrap things up and I'll look into it."

Aru said, "OK, I follow. Mauger can use my place, but not me."  Call ended.

Okay, NOW I can remove the pictures of Mauger and family crossing the border.  This wasn't nearly so harrowing, but it was tedious.  They don't categorize or prioritize, and they save everything.  I was glad to have another pair of eyes to help sift through it all.  

Ryatt and I parted ways.  I promised to buy a Rintendo game in the near future, and told him I owed him two big favors.  

When I got home, my account had a 200-credit bump.  Why, thank you Ms. Peach Chef.

As I said, things went fairly well.  At least, as well as anything has been going, lately.

So why do I have a sense of impending doom?

*Sigh*  At least I can take the time to shower and nap before looking for a safe house.  

"Parker, make a note.  No more strays!"

..::Kai::..

No comments:

Post a Comment