Sunday, April 15, 2018

Review: The Hate U Give

I felt, listening to this story, guided through a world that I could never experience on my own. Angie Thomas's skilled storytelling believably led me through both the gated community and the gangster-ridden part of what could be any city in the USA. Starr's life spans both these worlds, but rather than bridging them, she feels split between the two.

My guide on this journey, Bahni Turpin, gave such wonderfully realistic voice to each character. I'll be watching for her work, too.

The story itself is a reflection of daily headlines all across the country. Thomas takes us into the reality of living it, seen through one young girl's eyes. Starr must deal with tragedy and trauma, as she attempts to reconcile her two worlds - her two selves - and to become whole.

Is this a sad story? You bet it is. But it's also filled with humanity, speckled with funny bits, lit with just enough hope to bleed through to our world, too.

It's also incredibly important.  I'd go so far to say, it's so important that everyone should read this.  I'm an old white man, and  I believe every old white man should read this book.  Everyone, of every demographic.  We all need to understand what is going on, and Angie Thomas, through Starr, can help us do it.  

Without hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment