Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Ginger Chicken

Haven't made this since my last trip to Rockaway Beach.  That was an accidental recipe -- I'd intended to use garlic and put in ginger by mistake.  I kept adding more and more, wondering why I was getting no garlic flavor.  By the time I figured it out, the tube was nearly empty.

My daughter asked for the same meal this week.  Here's what I put together from memory.


  • One tube of "fresh ginger."  They are in the refrigerated part of the produce section.  
  • About 3 lbs of chicken.  I used thigh meat, next time I'm using breast meat.
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 stick butter (8 tbsp)
  • 1 tbsp chicken bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon)
  • 24 oz sugar snap pea pods
  • 16 oz portabella mushrooms
  • 36 oz cream cheese
  • 8 oz parmesan cheese 

I used my large stew pot for this, it's about a 6 qt pot, because I'm lazy and like one-pot meals.

Melt half the butter with the onion and garlic.  Start the mushrooms soaking in water and white vinegar.  Cut the chicken into strips.

Add the chicken and stir-fry.  Add the turmeric, bouillon, and ginger.

Rinse the mushrooms and cut into large pieces.  Add these and the snap peas.  Cut the remaining butter into pats on top.  Cover and steam until the butter melts.

Add the cream cheese, lower the heat to simmer for about 10-15 minutes to soften.

Stir until smooth.  Serve with grated parmesan.

Serves 8 or maybe more.  Yes, I cook with the intent of leftovers.  Cut it back if you don't like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment