Thursday, August 19, 2021

Riders On The Storm

(game date:  8/12/2021)


Hilda appeared, looking into the camera, shouting. "-not safe! Again, do not go to the Cities." She glanced back to Cecie, standing at the helm. "I don't think this will work, Cecie, we're too far away!"

The view shook, and a loud boom sounded!  Cecie, busy with piloting, called back, "Hold onto something! I'm going to try and lose them in the storm!"

---+++---


The message had appeared on every piece of tek in the city capable of receiving a signal: BANlinks, vidscreens, VR goggles, earphones, and yes, even AutoChefs.  Whatever they had done, they were not too far away for it to work.

But they were too far away to receive immediate help. 

I'd always known -- or suspected, at least -- that the Crystal Pilot would soon be flying for parts unknown.  The expression in Cecily's eyes when she saw the stars shining overhead, where once only the lights of the city reflected off the cavern ceiling, was a love I'd seen only once before, when she and Hilda held each other centuries after Hilda's "death."  I just hadn't realized that she'd already done it.

"Parker, do we know where Ms. Blackrose was headed?"

There was a few seconds lag in her response.  It had been getting worse due to power degradation throughout the city.  "Last recorded flight path was southward, Zeke."

On the off chance that our away team was back in comms range, I sent a call.  "Cecily and Hilda may be in trouble. They were headed south. I'm going to see what I can learn about the 'cities.'"  If they didn't get it right away, I knew Parker would relay it once they came back.

---+++---


"How do they still look so young??"

That was wot tha gnomie wants ta know.  Katrya jus' kinna shrugs a bit from 'er droivers seat.  "Cecie is an Elf, yes?"

Tha heldest grumps.  "I've known elfs. Cecie was old for an elf even before the Fall."

"Heh. ..Then it is something they must personally be asked."

Y'know...'tis a wee bit comfortin' ta larn that these bigjobs don' know ev'ry damn thing.  But Miss Hoigh Mucky Muck don't feel that way.  She grumps some more.   "... and wasn't Hilda dead? I thought she was dead..."

"That I -do- know," sez tha foxie.  "It is mostly magic and... hope, I think. Very personal, and if you knew her, she should explain it herself. She and Cecie."

Tha gnomie lets up then, and kinna chuckles.  "Yes... I imagine that would be a personal question. 'Weren't you dead?' doesn't exactly come up in casual conversation often. Hopefully I'll get the chance to ask."

That was kinna funny.  Ay fink oi'll try that nex' toime ay runs acrost some bloke wot needs ta be set back a pin or two.  "Wasn't you dead, mate?"

Then that GoldenBoi squawks at us over tha banlinks, sayin' 'ow Cecie an' 'ilda's in trouble, loike duh, din't we jus' see that?  Anny wants us all ta rush over t' Tha Manor.  Ay c'd practicly 'ear the capital letters.  Oi'm  livin' inna bloody 'olovid drammer, Ay am.  Crikey.

---+++---

The short walk from my guest room to the "safe room" has never seemed longer.  I could have sprinted there, but I was not going to ask Mrs. Nepeta to hurry, and I needed her to unlock the door.

Ama was waiting.  She greeted me, solemnly. "I saw the transmission, I assumed someone would come soon. What can I do to assist?"

I desperately wanted to immediately rush into what I needed, but that hardly seemed fair treatment.  "The rest have returned from their first expedition. They should have a report for you soon. I need to know what Cecily meant by 'the cities'."  It still felt like I was treating her like just another virtual assistant.  I hoped she understood.

Whether she did or not, she answered quickly and calmly.  "I would assume she is referring to the Great Cities of the Kings, but I admit it is possible other cities may have been established since the Fall."

It certainly was possible.  A lot can happen in a thousand years.  But...  "Let's go with your assumption, rather than an unknown."

Before she could answer, the others arrived -- with a guest.  They had found a city full of dwarves and gnomes in the mountainous area that they had set out to explore, and brought their leader back with them.  That news alone was astonishing enough, but what really threw me for a loop?  

The gnome and Ama recognized each other.

When she walked into the saferoom, the Eldest gasped and cried out Ama's name.  Ama, after a few seconds of staring, hesitantly asked, "...Alley?" 

The old woman grinned so widely that I could count every tooth, and every gap between them.  "Been a long time since anyone called me that. I'd hug you if I could."

I coughed.  I'd recently learned that this was not quite the impossibility that one might assume, but the last time the Avatar had become solid, the Manor lights had dimmed considerably from the power drain.  If she wished a public display of affection, it might be prudent to call in an anthrodrone.

Ama smiled at "Alley."  "Perhaps, later. Cecily and Hilda are in trouble." She turned back to me.  "What else would you like to know?"

What, indeed?  "Do we have any hope of rescuing Ms. Blackrose and Hilda? What do we need to prepare for?"

She went into infodump mode.  


"Before Æstas, the Great Cities of the Kings were the most teknologically advanced cities on the planet. They produced synthed food for the citizens, and had rudimentary software, but much of it was designed by the Children of the Sun to mentally enslave the people, keeping them busy and relatively uneducated regarding the workings of the Cities..."

"Each City had a Pattern, and these had been designed to serve as photonic propulsion systems as a means to correct the trajectory of the planet's orbit around the closest star. The orbit had been decaying over time. Before these systems could be used for their intended purpose, the Children of the Sun weaponized them for use against targets on the planet. However, last I was aware they were unable to be used with any speed. I do not think that was what was attacking the Crystal Pilot."

"In the years since the Fall, it is possible the Cities have developed other defenses or means of attack, but I am unaware of what they might be. I do know that Cecily Blackrose is a skilled pilot, but whatever attacked must have been able to outmaneuver her ship, so I assume they are employing something faster or more agile, similar to the more modern vehicles of Æstas."

"As for hope of rescue, I again point out that Ms. Blackrose is a skilled pilot. If she felt there was a possibility of evading them, as indicated in the transmission, then I believe there is the possibility she did so."

"I cannot say whether this would put the two of them out of danger entirely, or if it merely changed the circumstances of their danger."

"What else would you like to know?"

Aru wanted to know more about the patterns. 

"A basic Pattern can serve several purposes, not usually related to photonic propulsion. They are powered by an item called an Eye, and the primary purposes for a Pattern are permanancy and travel. Patterns are sometimes categorized according to their size, being large enough for beings of greater size than most humanoid races to be able to use."

"The Central Patterns of the Great Cities were known to be of a larger size than needed for most humanoid races. The ones located in the individual towers were of 'normal' size."

"What else would you like to know?"

---+++---

I'd heard enough to know that, if Cecie and Hilda had encountered anything from the old cities, the rescue mission needed someone with specific tek skills.  "Ryatt - have you been studying hacking techniques?"

He had not.  I sighed.  "I can abandon the political campaign - that doesn't mean that much - but the Power infrastructure should not be left unsupervised. Maybe Parker can watch over it..."

Ama interrupted.  "If I may? I could assist Parker in overseeing the infrastructure plans as well."

There we go.  Guilt rising.  "You've done so much, Ama, and now we'll be putting off your search again."

She shook her head.  She was no longer in "automated infodump" mode.  "The safety of the Blackrose family is of greater priority at this juncture. Allowing me to help would give me something useful to do, since I am still here, and have claimed to be, at least temporarily, the Avatar of Æstas."

Temporarily.  Yes, indeed.  I found I had one more thing I wanted to know, after all.

"Ama...For when we find your home, and you go back to it... Will you train Parker to be this city's avatar?"

The question took her by surprise.  "I have never attempted to train an Avatar..."  A pause.  "If you would like me to make the attempt, I will do so."

---+++---

Seein' 'ow she weren't talkin' ta may, tha 'olo-lassie dinna bovver shrinkin' doon ta give us alla deets.  When she were done, ol' GoldenBoi starts passin' out marchin' orders.  No wonder 'e wants ta bay onna Council; so's 'e can boss alla the city arroun'.  

Tha Helder gnomie's gotta go 'ome firs' onna counta nobody knows 'ow long hit's gonner take ta save tha Damsels in Distress.  An' ennybody wot needs better kit, go get that crap now, roight?  Then 'e's bossin 'is drones, sayin' this 'un's stayin', and this 'un's goin', when alla sudden 'e looks at me, an' goes, "If the pixie is going, then she needs to upgrade equipment while the Elder is returned home. No arguments."

Waily, waily.  Ay'm aboot ta give 'im a piece o'my moind, Oi mean hex-cyooz may!  'Oo sez I wants ta go?  Tha holo-chippie done gimme 10K creds jus' fer bringin' back an' old mate, 'ell, Ay'm set for a piece.  Ennywayz, Ay loikes me jackit.  They don' makes 'em loike this na more, wiffa pink moggie face.

But then tha 'alfling pulls me asoid an' tells me ta keep mum, an crivens!  Am I ever glad!  Ay ended up wiffa custom-fit ackshun-wear, fire-proof, cold-proof, acid-proof, zap-proof, in-vis-o coat, anna helmet wot self-adjusts fer loightin'!

This new kit woulda cost more'n twice wot Ama give me, an that was before alla prices zoomed up ten-fold!  An' they even put tha moggie onnit!

Ay'm leavin' me jackit 'in tha coffin, but don't none a you lot go borrowin' it, ya ken?

---+++---

I bid the Eldest farewell.  There was so much I wanted to know, not the least of which was how they managed to survive the Fall, and the fallout after, but I promised to visit as soon as I could.  At any rate, I was bound to hear about it on our way south.

The intervening hours I spent sending messages.  I didn't exactly withdraw from the campaign, but I doubt I'll garner many votes if I'm not around.  On the bright(?) side, if we aren't back soon, it won't much matter anyway.  I also sent messages to everyone involved in the Power infrastructure program, letting them know in very certain terms that both Parker and Ama would be monitoring the project very closely.  I left Parker in charge of any funds left behind, as well as the Owlet, Ŝtelita, and half the flying drones.  We're going to try our first splitting of her program for this trip, with a re-merge once we get back, so that she can handle Maggie for us.  

And then, with a fresh C-Cell for Frank, we were off.  

First hour out, we passed over the water feature that had been speculated to be south of the city due to the "Rifted Plains Lake" located in the Crystal Towers RP.  Yep, sure was, and looked just like it, too.

Second hour out, we started to see storms, south and west.  Weather.  What a concept.  Even stranger, though, was the terrain.  It flattened, but not into sand or stone -- into pavement.  Miles and miles of it, as far southward as we could see.

About half an hour further on, we spotted large...somethings in the distance on the ground.

They were large machines, or at least they were doing a fair impression of it.  Some seem to be breaking up the concrete landscape, others seem to be turning the soil beneath.  If I had to guess, it looked like some sort of large-scale terraforming project.

When we were close enough that we could put all this together, we also saw a set of towers in the distance.  Cities?  Probably so.  We were likely close to the spot where the Crystal Pilot ran into trouble.  I asked whether Frank was invisible, and heard a distinctly derisive revving of the engine.  We approached.

Golden glinting, from afar, became humanoid-shaped drones upon closer inspection.  Hundreds of them -- not anthros at all, simply bipedal, and they would occasionally change shape as required, for a specialized task or for aerial mobility.  

The pixie pointed westward.  There was smoke rising from the ground.  Upon closer inspection, it did look like pieces of Ms. Blacrose's ship, but not enough debris to account for the whole thing.  

We sent out a call, but the only response was from the golden droids.  A group of them split off from their flight pattern around the city and approached our location.  We ended our transmission and moved off.  

The drones flew about, seemingly randomly, but Ryatt recognized a fractal pattern in their search.  It was completely systematic; if we had not moved, one of them would have rammed Frank.  Finding nothing at the spot from which we had transmitted, they widened the pattern.  After a few minutes, they gave up and returned to their previous work.

"I won't know for sure without investigating," I speculated aloud, "but I will wager that there is no living person controlling these machines."

Katrya stared.  "What joy."

Threats to either side of us, one in the form of an unknown, mechanized, intelligence, and another in the form of a chaotic storm.  

Our mission was to find and rescue Cecily and Hilda.  Our last word was that they were going to "lose them in the storm."  I turned my gaze westward.

..::Kai::..

No comments:

Post a Comment