Wednesday, March 24, 2021

A Dragon Comes Calling

(Game date: March 11, 2021)

 Through no real merit of my own planning, we'd pulled off the raid on SunTek's R&D and escaped without firing a shot.  It had been accomplished with real teamwork.  While I do think that it could have gone better, it could certainly have gone worse.  I thought we deserved a celebration.  We flew everyone (kids included) to the Crystal Palace.

The celebration didn't last long.  In the middle of the meal, Aru's mother called him.  There was an emergency at the manor: a stranger had arrived, unannounced, in a limousine, demanding to speak with Aru and "his friends."  The family was apparently quite agitated.  

We cut dinner short.  Cecily and Hilda were most accommodating, and had everything boxed up by the time we had our own plans straight.  Once again, I reluctantly asked the children to drive their anthrodrones, due to the unknown nature of the crisis, and the fact that they are both extremely high-profile (that, and they have families of their own to protect).  I also asked Vamir to take the Owlet, rather than ride in Frank, so that he could use his invisibility spell and be our surprise backup, if needed.  I also sent out orders to the rest of the group's drones (those which had BANlink access, anyway) to meet us there.

All this decided, and food boxes firmly in hand, we set out for Chystari Estates.  Katrya asked a single question: "Do you want to approach with intimidation, or as a false... safety?"  

As we had a few minutes before arriving, I mulled that over.  Aru's mom had said that the visitor was one man, yet they were all in a tizzy, so obviously this was someone who inspired fear.  But going into any blind negotiation, I'd been taught to never reveal the full strength of my position.  Much as I dislike my father's values, I have never seen his strategies fail.  "Don't show full strength," I said.  Besides, we were practically an army, counting the drones. 

Outside:  A sleek Nightsky limo hovered, ready to leave at a moment's notice.  The driver, wearing a well-tailored uniform stood next to the open passenger door, alert, appearing capable of handling just about anything thrown at him.  Katrya remained with Frank.  She would observe the driver and the exits directly, and the events inside via any number of connected feeds.  I've been using Frank's VPN ever since she revealed its government-level security -- and gave me permission.

Inside:  Aru's parents doing their best, and failing, to remain calm while dealing diplomatically with a tall human male, pale to the point of albinism.  His hair was long and groomed, but uncut.  His suit was expensive and tailored, but worn without a shirt, in the manner of someone who proudly announces to the world, I know what fashion is, and I am above it.  His features were angular and aristocratic, as was the impatient sneer he wore upon them.  

"Where are they?" he demanded, as soon as we entered.  His voice was low, and somewhat gravelly, but his tone seemed calm.  Even so, it was difficult to take this as anything other than threatening.  

Aru stiffened.  He was already so on edge that I didn't think that was possible, but he did.  "I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific, sir and I would strongly recommend explaining why it's any of your business, as well."

Well, this was getting off to a very bad start.  The elder Nepeta could feel it too.  He stepped between them.  "Mr. White, this is my son and his associates. Aru, this is Ahlan White, the..." he cleared his throat delicately, "leader of the Dragons. He has questions regarding the estate's -private- areas."

"Your father prattles skillfully," the albino cut in, waving the foxkin away, "but I am in no mood for your dissemblance. You will tell me where the Caer are being kept."

Aru did not flinch.  "Ah, good. You've explained the what. Now, tell me why it's your business?"

White fairly growled.  "I know the portals have been opened."

If anything, Aru became more distant.  "I'd be very curious to know how you know anything of the sort, but that is your business. What happens on my family's property, with my family's belongings, is my business."

The interloper sighed deeply. "They are too precious to remain in the hands of the ignorant. I will destroy you, and this entire estate if I must, if you insist upon such.  Now where. Are. They."

Oh, dear.  This was going very badly, indeed.  

Mr. White had just revealed a crucial bit of information.  Specifically, that he was not our enemy.  But, Aru was so upset over seeing his parents frightened, that this could easily change.  I hadn't wanted to overstep my authority.  This was Aru's home.  We had gone to great lengths to restore it to him.  But I felt that, if I didn't do something soon, this meeting could end in disaster.  I cleared my throat for attention.

"Might I ask something, Mr. Nepeta?"

Aru turned his head toward me, just as stiffly.  "I'm listening, good friend who I know why you're here, and uses very good manners."

"Thank you," I said, and turned to address the Leader of the Dragons.  "Sir. I get the distinct impression that we should not be on opposite sides of the table, were all the facts known."

Pause.  A glance in Mr. White's direction.

"I find it regretful that you were not present when the first object was removed, however."

Another pause.  Then I gave him what he asked for.

"The remainder were removed because the fate of the Estate was precarious. They remain so because the fate of the city is the same. Shall we continue talking, and perhaps help each other, or do you insist upon a show of force?"

In the brief silence that followed, I heard Aru muttering, and hoped in vain that White could not hear him.  I also heard Katry over the comm, asking, "Zeke..?"  to which I whispered, briefly, "Yes," and watched for White's reaction.

Apparently, he was not satisfied with my answer.  "I already stated I am in no mood for dissemblance. I have waited too long for the Caer to be revealed." Faster than I could follow, he shot out one hand, grabbed Aru's father by the throat, and lifted him off the ground. "I ask one, final time: where are the Caer?"

Well, so much for that negotiation.  "Katrya, now," I said.  I hadn't wanted a war with the Dragons, but we couldn't let him harm Aru's family.

Aru snarled and drew his Ci.  "It will be the last thing you find out."

Katrya came bursting through the door, carrying more weapons than one person ought to be able to hold at once, and all of them aimed at the intruder. "ALLO, Ahlan White," she said, in that peculiar accent, her voice ringing off the walls.  "There is a very obvious problem I am seeing to your 'concerns'.  If you were worthy, you would already possess them.  Now.. we can have a few drinks and discuss this... misunderstatement."

Aru shook his head.  "Not anymore, we can't. He's got his hands on my father."

The albino paused, his arm still effortlessly extended with Aru's father dangling, assessing. After that moment, he broke into a grin. "Good." He lowered his arm, gently releasing the gasping foxkin. "You carry them. That leaves only the one.  I do not seek to possess them. Not in that way. I asked where they were."

I felt the urge to swear, and my eye twitched as I held it in.  "Do you know..." I began, but by that time Aru had sprung  

"ARU," Katrya warned, but she was also too late.  He was striking at the Dragon, punctuating each swing with verbal expressions of his anger.  

"You come into MY home, making demands on MY property, and lay your hands on MY people! TELL me you wouldn't exterminate someone who did that on your turf?"

White easily evaded each of the foxkin's blows, then snatched at Aru's clothing, sliding him across the floor as if he were a rag doll.  He wasn't even breathing hard.  "You have fight in you. Good. The Council Leader knows what he has. He will not relinquish it willingly."

Aru growled.  His mother rushed to help him up, but he waved her off.

His irritation was contagious.  Addressing White, I said, "You could have done a lot more good by retrieving the Ci from him instead of harassing these good people."  

His reply told me that he did not take my point, but it did reveal some interesting information.  "One Ci without the others does no one any good. The gate cannot be opened without all five.  And I, as was pointed out a few moments ago, cannot wield them. Certainly not all of them at once."

"Do you know. You have very terrible diplomacy skills," Katrya said.  I do not believe she was relaying any new information here, but I'm glad it was said.

"I did not come here to be diplomatic. I came here to test you. I came here to be certain they were in capable-enough hands."

"It was a terrible test."  Katrya shook her head in disappointment.  

I had to agree.  "We restored this Manor to its rightful caretakers, after one Ci was stolen. I think you have no right to judge us.  Do you intend to help from this point forward?"

The tall foxkin made a disparaging sound.  "Pft. That is not what they do."

"I have spent too much of my life caged. Æstas has been a more tolerable prison than the last, but it is still a prison," White said, an answer which did not really commit him one way or another.

Aru was still fuming. "He can help by being Katrya's punching bag"

"Aru, not now," I told him.  He growled, including me this time.  

But Katrya, and Ahlan as well, both seemed to light up at the suggestion.  White said, "We might both enjoy that. The little fox-woman strikes me as one to enjoy a fight. But it would be over too quickly, unless I chose to insult her."

"-LITTLE-??" Katrya spluttered.  "AH....ah. Still, it would be interesting to know.  Also. There can still be drink."

I sighed.  Hindsight was telling me that we'd kept the wrong team outside, but hindsight was not helping right now.  Aru looked like he was about to explode again, and nobody else seemed to have any ideas.  "Please answer the question," I said.

White complied.  "The gate must be opened. For that, you will need access to the Core." He produced a virtual business card and offered it to Aru. "When the time comes, send word. The Dragons will assist."

If only he had made the gesture to me, or Katrya, or anyone else, this might have turned out differently.  But he picked Aru.  Of course he did.  It was Aru's home.  For all of White's rhetoric, he understood "turf" all too well.

"Aru...?" There was a world of begging in my eyes.

But he flung the card back. "I don't want an ally like you."

Katrya tried to plead with him "Aru.. I think your point has been made well. It is that.."  But she saw that he was closed off, not hearing her, and turned to me.  "Ngh. ...Zeke. We do not want this one as an enemy. Look very carefully, think. I will... talk when is polite."

I thought furiously.

I wanted powerful allies from the beginning.  When I saw what we were facing, I knew that we needed every advantage.  

I could, very probably, overrule Aru Nepeta, even in his own home, and he would do what I said.  He owed me.  But, if I did that, he would never trust me again.  I would become my father.  I'd be pulling a piece from the bottom of the tower, and placing it on the top.

No.  Better to have a solid base.

"You're right, Katrya. We don't want an enemy, not of him, and not of his organization.  However, I will not alienate Aru, either."

She didn't move, but I could still see her muscles tense.  Her whispered words came over the comm, "I cannot protect you from him. We would already be dead."

I addressed White.  "Sir, you really have to understand. Test or not... you crossed a line.  We can't trust you now.  Even if you feel you have no use for diplomacy -- surely you understand family."

Ahlan White didn't move, but some aspect of his presence seemed to loom larger. "You, I, all of Æstas, face a threat larger than 'turf.' Do you think the Sun Children care how much you can talk? They will not stop at threats, to family, friends. They will manipulate, cause all of Æstas to tear itself apart."

After a long moment, his shadow seemed to shrink back to normal. "But very well. You have refused help. Regardless, the Dragons will not stop you from reaching the gate."

I nodded.  "And that's the behavior I expect...from them.  Which is why I will give them no quarter."

"If only the help had been offered in another manner," Katrya groaned.  "My offer still remains. I have good sources."

But he rolled his eyes and headed for the gate.

Katrya rushed after him, and spoke privately.  At least, it would have been private, had she not been linked via comms.  

"Yes," she told him, "you are not trusted. That does not mean your assistance would go unwanted. Tell me, has anything changed? It is still the same anim... Hmm. It is the same as it was, you are posturing, and it is -silly-.  ...How many are there?"

"Would it make a difference if you knew?"

"Yes. It would tell us if we are chasing the same one whose goal is for there to be more, or if there are already countless here. How can that not make a difference in how we proceed??"  She paused for a breath.  "Then there is the matter of the wraiths. ..We are chosen for this, I am told. It was not a choice, we are what you are going to get. Both Kai and Nepeta use words well. They are respectful... when one does not approach as an adversary."  Another pause.  "Shall we have. An accord."

Then the Dragon turned around, and spoke to all of us again.  "There are at least three. And yet they still seek power to bring more." He turned back to Katrya. "There. Information, in exchange for the information I sought." 

And then he left, out the door to his patiently waiting driver and limo.

Katrya visibly relaxed.  "Hooray for diplomacy. ....I get his drink."

Aru comforted his parents, while they tried to comfort him.  

I took my leftovers home, and spent several sleepless hours poring over stolen data chips.  

..::Kai::..

No comments:

Post a Comment