Saturday, June 13, 2015

Healing Light

The grandkids are visiting us right now, so I have less time for games.  A couple days ago, my granddaughter (Ellie) got an owie, and it reminded me...

When my daughter was that age, when she was hurt, it seemed as if it was mostly a head bump.   I don't know much, but I do know how to check for concussion, so whenever she'd bump her head I got out my flashlight and made sure her pupils dilated properly.  By the time my examination was over, usually all pain was forgotten.

Soon, she started coming to me after every bump or scratch, asking for the "magic flashlight."  She insisted that I shine the light on whatever injury she'd just sustained.   Even long after she knew better, it remained a tradition.

I asked Ellie if she wanted me to shine a light on her owie, but she declined.

No comments:

Post a Comment